Deadline for Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 is February 1st, 2019! Please contact Megan Baker [firstname.lastname@example.org] immediately if you are interested in this exchange opportunity for either semester!
Required GPA: 3.2/4.0 minimum, no exceptions.
Carroll University participates in the Irish American Scholars program which allows up to three Carroll University students to participate in an exchange at the following schools in Northern Ireland:
Queens University Belfast and University of Ulster are internationally recognized. They do not offer courses in all disciplines, but most U.S. students will find appropriate subjects at these institutions.
The University of Ulster has multiple campuses. Students will be placed at a specific campus depending on their field of study.
Belfast Metropolitan College specializes in educating students with strong career goals in vocational areas such as business, marketing, computing, performing arts, communication and Irish studies.
Stranmillis University College specializes in teacher training.
St. Mary’s University College specializes in liberal arts and teacher training.
•Belfast Metropolitan College (Belfast, Northern Ireland)
- Areas of Study
•Queens University (Belfast, Northern Ireland)
- Areas of Study (Use drop-down menu)
•St. Mary’s University College (Belfast, Northern Ireland)
- Areas of Study (Click into program and then on "Element Overview" links on left-hand menu)
•Stranmillis University College (Belfast, Northern Ireland)
- Areas of Study (Click on program and then the subset "Modules" link that appears in left-hand menu)
•University of Ulster (Londonderry, Northern Ireland)
- Areas of Study
• Students planning to study art must submit a portfolio of their work on CD with their application materials or via a Web site. Art students should have completed significant course work before applying.
• Students planning to study science or math should have completed significant coursework in their field prior to studying in Northern Ireland.
• Students attending the University of Ulster will take all of their courses at one campus. It is not possible to take courses at more than one. Applicants should, therefore, determine if all of the courses they wish to take are available at a particular UU campus.
• University of Ulster is the best choice for history majors who want to study Irish history.
• Education/Teaching is available only at Stranmillis or St. Mary’s. Preference is given to students who have some in-classroom experience. Spring semester in Northern Ireland includes an in-school placement. Education students must, therefore, obtain a background check and bring the results to Northern Ireland.
• Students interested in studying a musical instrument at University of Ulster – McGee will be required to pay extra fees not included in the tuition/fee waiver from UU.
• At Belfast Metropolitan College students can generally take classes in only one subject field. International students can only take classes in HND or FD tracks. Business/marketing students must attend for a full year. Dance and theatre students must attend for the fall semester or for a full year, not for spring semester only.
• Applicants should talk with their advisor or campus director of international study to determine how study abroad will affect their academic program, specifically whether credit for courses in Northern Ireland will transfer to their home college.
** The website for program application changes annually, so check back in for up-to-date links specific to the Scholars Program.
Participating in a Carroll University exchange program is one of the most cost effective ways to fulfill your CCE requirement. You will receive your full Carroll University financial aid package, pay your regular Carroll University tuition, and still be eligible for additional study abroad and CCE scholarships.
This is a competitive program with earlier deadlines than most study abroad programs. Application deadlines are FIRM and will not be extended. Carroll University may only submit three students each year. Nominations will be accepted on a first-come-first-served basis. Interested students should contact Megan Baker immediately at email@example.com to receive assistance with the application and nomination process.
*Acceptances Available - Fall 2018/Spring 2019/Academic Year 2018-19: 3
*Acceptances Pre-approved - Fall 2018/Spring 2019/Academic Year 2018-19: 1
*Remaining spots - Fall 2018/Spring 2019/Academic Year 2018-19: 2
*Acceptances Available - Fall 2019/Spring 2020/Academic Year 2019-20: 3
*Acceptances Pre-approved - Fall 2019/Spring 2020/Academic Year 2019-20: 0
*Remaining spots - Fall 2019/Spring 2020/Academic Year 2019-20: 3
Students requesting accommodations for their CCE should contact The Office for Students with Disabilities at the Walter Young Center by calling 262-524-7335 to set up an appointment with Marty Bledsoe.