Skip to content

Helpful Information for Advising

How can a CCE be fulfilled?
The CCE can be fulfilled by a Carroll course CCE where a professor teaches and travels with students (there are a few local volunteer options and international volunteer where the students volunteer on their own) OR a study abroad program. 

When should the CCE be taken?
The CCE should be taken after a student's CCS100 and CCD, but before a student's CCS400.  It is the third course in the thread.  Students are generally juniors when applying to Carroll course CCEs.  Students interested in a study abroad CCE can and should start planning early because they may be able to take some of their general education credits oversees.

What is the difference between a CCS300 and an NCE?
There are two types of Carroll course CCEs - CCS300 and NCE.  The difference is that CCS300 is two credits while an NCE is four credits.  Generally this means an NCE will also travel for a longer time.

What does it mean to take a fall, winter, spring, or summer Carroll course CCE?
The Carroll course CCEs are always taught concurrently or before travel/volunteering.  The term indicates when the course portion of the Carroll course CCE takes place.  Almost all travel occurs between a few days and a few weeks following that semester, there are a handful of classes that have volunteering concurrently.  This is indicated on the individual course brochures.

Where should students start?
How do acceptances work?
Acceptances for Carroll course CCEs are based first on class standing and second on the date and time stamp when they begin an application. Acceptances for Carroll course CCEs do not start until AFTER applications for the term close.

If a student is accepted into a Carroll course CCE, they are sent an acceptance email and the same information is posted to their online application.  The acceptance tells the student they following:
  • A $100 non-refundable deposit is due 4 days from the acceptance notice to hold their spot.
  • Whether they received a CCE award and the amount.
  • The total cost and how they will be billed.
  • Payment options.
  • They will be registered if they pay the $100 deposit.  The registration is NOT immediate.
  • There are post-decision materials on their application that must be completed 60 days prior to departure.

Study abroad program acceptances are on a rolling basis. Exchange programs require a nominations process through the Study Abroad Advisor.  There will be different requirements based on each program, so it is important to work with the Study Abroad Advisor.

Other Things to Note
  • Students do not need to pick a program that matches their major.
  • Students should save room the semester following their CCE to take their  CCS400.
  • Students can have two applications open at the same time per term (Carroll course CCE and study abroad CCE).  We encourage all students to have two, because it increases their chances of acceptance into one program.
  • Check out the FAQ page. 

We are here to help you.  If you have any questions, email