Skip to content

Useful Apps and Websites

App and Website Picture
Helpful Apps When Abroad 
*not all apps are available in all countries


  • XE Currency: money converter with the current exchange rates
  • Google Translate: help translate any language
  • TripLingo: helps you with phrases, translator, flashcards, travel situations
  • Currency Converter by Oanda: free currency exchange calculator using WiFi
  • WAYGO:  Chinese, Japanese, and Korean translation and doesn’t have to be connected to WiFi 


  • Skype: free, works with WiFi, allows you to video chat with people that also have the Skype app.
  • Viber: can also be downloaded on computer. Calls are free from Viber to Viber users.
  • Whatsapp: texting through WiFi with other Whatsapp users.
  • MagicJack: call US or Canada for free as long as you have WiFi 


  • mTrips: download is free but city guides are $4.99 each. The app gives detailed information about each attraction including directions, hours, website link, phone numbers, reviews, etc.
  • Hotel Tonight: helps you find hotels in your area (Europe) with last minute booking and save up to 70%
  • All Subway: travel like a local by taking public transportation and save money from taxis. All Subway supplies public transit information up to 147 countries
  • Kayak Pro: manage flights, cars, and hotel stays from this app
  • Taxi App for Europe ( finds available taxis in your area in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, the Netherlands, the Czech Republic or Denmark!
  • Uber: a discounted taxi service that allows you to set a pick up and drop off point in a city and pay on the app with the connected credit card (this app is very easy to use!) 


  • EMNet findERnow: if you need medical help abroad, Find-ER will locate the nearest hospital wherever you are in the world
  • ICE: (In Case of Emergency) helps with any medical issues. The app keeps details about your medical conditions, your doctor’s primary contact details and insurance information that can be accessed even if your phone is locked 
  • Pocketmoney: app that helps you organize your money and keeps track of your financial funds and banking  transactions
  • ATM Hunter: app tracks your location and produces a list of nearest ATMs and provides you with a map on how to get there
  • Packing Pro: $3 on iOS, helps you remember exactly what to pack
  • Postagram: send a real paper postcard to your friends and family back home by taking a picture or grabbing one off Facebook or Instagram. Free app but $.99 per card you send
  • iPronunciation: helps you pronounce the foreign language
  • tips on traveling through Europe on a tight budget
  • & cheap flights
  • TravelWell 

 Some helpful sites to check out and read more about apps:


Studying, Working, or Volunteering Abroad

  • - Great online search for finding international study, volunteer, teach, intern, eco-travel, and job opportunities.
  • Go Overseas - A community-driven platform for every study, intern, volunteer, teach, language school and gap year program abroad. Read peer reviews, location guides, helpful articles and much more!
  • - Great source of information about studying within the United States, especially helpful for prospective international students.
  • IIE Passport - Best online search site for finding short- and long-term study abroad programs.
  • - Online search site for study abroad scholarships, grants and additional funding sources.
  • U of the Pacific: What’s Up With Culture? - Great Web site examining cultural issues and study abroad preparation.
  • NAFSA’s Financial Aid for Study Abroad: An Undergraduate Student’s Resource -
    Financially plan your study abroad. Information from the experts in study abroad.
  • NAFSA’s U.S. Study Abroad Scholarships and Grants List - Tips on searching and applying for study abroad scholarships.
  • MoneyGeek - Useful website that has created a study abroad guide that explains the different forms of financial aid and loans available.
  • - Students Abroad from the U.S. Department of State site with tips for planning, safety, country facts, STEP enrollment, and opportunities abroad.
  • Center for Global Education: Study Abroad Student Handbook - Country-specific Web sites with detailed information about what to expect when abroad, including entry requirements, money, language, school system, etc.
  • - This Web site lists more than 4,500 study abroad programs. It also includes information on language courses, internships, etc.
  • - Provides information about study, internships, volunteering, teaching, etc., abroad.
  • - Allows for students to find Study Abroad Institutions based on specific course topics. *Does not indicate Carroll Exchange/Affiliate Universities.
  • Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) - Contains information on CIEE's study and work abroad programs. Has a link to Council Travel, which offers student discount travel opportunities, etc. (See below.)
  • Institute of International Education (IIE) - Publisher of study abroad directories, including Academic Year Abroad, Vacation Study Abroad and Financial Resources for Study Abroad. IIE administers various scholarships and other exchange opportunities.
  • BUNAC (British Universities North America Club) - A work exchange program for American students to work in Britain or Australia. Brochures are available in the IOP Office.
  • Peace Corps- Volunteer work abroad. Carroll has several faculty who are former Peace Corps volunteers. We have contact information for the local recruiter in the IOP Office.

Travel Information Links

  • U.S. Department of State - Provides essential information for U.S. citizens traveling abroad, such as travel warnings and consular information sheets by country, U.S. embassies and consulates, foreign consular offices in the U.S., foreign entry requirements, STEP Enrollment, etc.
  • Center for Disease Control - Contains information about worldwide health conditions and provides recommendations for immunizations for people traveling abroad.
  • The Electronic Embassy - Provides links to Web sites of foreign embassies in Washington, D.C., and contact information. Individual country sites often contain valuable information about visas, cultural exchanges, etc.
  • Mobility International - Provides information on study and travel abroad for people with disabilities. Includes links to providers of travel services for people with disabilities.
  • STA Travel - Student discount travel opportunities, merchandise, etc.
  • Hostelling International: American Youth Hostels - Links to youth hostels worldwide.
  • Let's Go Guidebooks - Web site for the guidebooks written from the student perspective. Highlights include student discounts, hostels, etc.
  • Lonely Planet Guidebooks - Guidebooks for independent and inexpensive travel worldwide.
  • Rail Europe - Web site of the largest U.S. provider of Eurail Passes, which must be purchased in the U.S. before you travel.
  • Trip Buzz - Find things to do in your free time in US and Canadian cities