Skip to content


Health and Safety

Health and safety is a primary concern while you study at Carroll University and during your CCE.  Health and Safety information is covered during orientations for study abroad students and for students participating in faculty-led or faculty-supported programs. 
Useful Websites
  • U.S. Department of State International Travel Warnings and Alerts- Travel Warnings are issued by the U.S. Department of State to provide notice of protracted conditions that make a country dangerous or unstable. A Travel Warning is also issued when the U.S. Government's ability to assist American citizens is constrained due to the closure or reduction in staff of an embassy or consulate. If you plan to travel to a country currently under a travel warning issued by the U.S. Department of State, please contact the Office of International Education, as your trip may need prior approval. Current travel warnings can be found here.
  • The State Department issues Travel Alerts to provide notice of short-term conditions, generally within a particular country, that pose immediate risks to the security of U.S. citizens. Natural disasters, terrorist attacks, coups, anniversaries of terrorist events, election-related demonstrations or violence, and high-profile events such as international conferences or regional sports events are examples of conditions that might generate a Travel Alert. Current travel alerts can be found here.
  • Center for Disease Control - The CDC issues several types of notices for international travelers. These travel notice definitions range from "in the news" to "travel health warning". Definitions of and recommended preventive measures for each notice can be found here. 
  • The Electronic Embassy - Provides links to Web sites of foreign embassies in Washington, D.C., and contact information. Individual country sites often contain valuable information about visas, cultural exchanges, etc.
  • Mobility International - Provides information on study and travel abroad for people with disabilities. Includes links to providers of travel services for people with disabilities.
  • World Health Organization- WHO is the directing authority for health within the countries of the United Nations. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends. A list of current outbreaks and risks worldwide is available here. The WHO maintains a list of national or specialized websites, ministries of health, travel clinics or practitioners, with information on health warnings from governmental health organizations.

Health Insurance

All Carroll University students participating in international CCEs are automatically registered for CISI (Cultural Insurance Services International)  International Travel Insurance.  This is a mandatory coverage* and is included in the program fees for all international programs.  A full overview of the policy will be provided to student once they have been accepted into an international CCE.
*Some study abroad programs provide mandatory insurance that is comparable to the coverage provided by Carroll’s CISI policy.  In this case students will not be registered for CISI coverage.

Health and Safety Handouts

General Health and Safety Tips.pdf